The Energy Co-op has been helping people buy, use, and understand energy for over 40 years.
In 1979, The Energy Co-op was started by members of the Weaver’s Way Food Co-op to lower the price of heating oil by leveraging its members’ buying power. By the 1990s, The Energy Co-op had expanded its geographic reach beyond West Mount Airy and added electricity to its offerings. Its EcoChoice electricity products pioneered renewable energy in the greater Philadelphia region. In 2015, The Energy Co-op became the first supplier of Renewable Natural Gas in the area. Today, we offer these products while continuously seeking and supporting novel solutions to energy challenges.
We are a nonprofit cooperative that:
- Enables our members to buy energy as responsibly and affordably as possible.
- Assists our members to use energy sensibly and efficiently.
- Educates our members and our community about energy.
- Transparency in pricing and actions.
- Accountability to our membership and the community.
- Environmental, economic and social sustainability in all of our decisions.
Powering your home or business with clean electricity, renewable natural gas or home heating oil from The Energy Co-op is similar to purchasing energy from any number of competing suppliers.
But, we’re not like every other supplier. When you switch to The Energy Co-op, you become a Co-op member. That means you have a right to know (and vote on) how your energy is sourced and how the organization is run.
To most energy companies, this degree of transparency would be revolutionary. To us, it’s just how we do business.
Learn more by reviewing our bylaws here.